The President’s International Business Leadership Forum, Hosted by Hebrew University President, Professor Asher Cohen
Friday, June 8th – Sunday, June 10th
Business leaders from around the world and from Israel will join together for a unique program focused on innovation, investment and inspiration. Leaders will get an insider perspective of the Jerusalem world of high- tech and will network with local entrepreneurs and industry leaders.
We are looking forward to celebrating business leadership and we welcome a new cohort of attendees, for a program focus on:
- High-tech Innovation
- Israel’s Economic Transformation
- Jerusalem, Central to the Startup Nation
The Forum is an exclusive 3-day program beginning the Friday before Hebrew University’s annual Board of Governors, and participants are welcome to be the President’s guests for the BOG programs through June 13, 2018. This years’ Board of Governors (BOG) will honor the centennial anniversary of the laying of the cornerstones, with a theme celebrating 100 Years of Knowledge.
The Board of Governors is open to members and non-members alike and we encourage attendance by all who attend the Business Leadership Forum.
Who: Professionals who are leaders in the business world from around the world. You will get a unique glimpse into the Israeli high-tech world, with an emphasis on Jerusalem and the Hebrew University.
Cost: $1,500 (not including flight and accommodations), the cost includes participation in the entire Board of Governors
Friday, June 8th
9:00 am – 4:00 pm, Edmond J. Safra Campus/Bloomfield Science Museum
Panel: How to Create a Thriving Eco-System of Innovation: Bringing VC’s entrepreneurs, government and established businesses together to discuss best practices from the Start-Up nation. How do these different groups work together to make Israel’s—and Jerusalem’s—start-up community one of the most advanced in the world?
Specific Panel Topics:
- From Idea to Exit: An overview of the key points in the process
- Hotbeds of Innovation: Which sectors are hot—which are not and the reasons why
- Equal Access to funding: How do VCs ensure that they are funding a diverse group of entrepreneurs
Panelists: The HUJI Innovation Panel brings together entrepreneurs, founders, and funders, as well as established businesses to talk about today’s best practices and tomorrow’s most exciting trends. Panelists represent the best of Israeli innovation and will discuss what makes Jerusalem and Israel a successful technological ecosystem.
- *Marius Nacht, Cofounder of cybersecurity firm Check Point Software Technologies, Talpiot veteran
- *Izhar Shay, Israeli high-tech entrepreneur and venture capital investor
- Yehudit (Dita) Bronicki, former CEO of Ormat
- *Harel Beit-On, Israeli seasoned executive with over 30 years of management leadership in the IT industry and an extensive investment and exit record
- John Harthorne, Founder and CEO of MassChallenge, a no equity and not-for-profit accelerator
- *Dr. Erel Margalit, Hebrew University alumnus, and the Founder and Chairman of Jerusalem Venture Partners (JVP)
- Orna Berry, Vice President of Dell EMC, and General Manager of Israel Center of Excellence
- *Yossi Vardi, Israeli entrepreneur, often referred to as the Israeli high-tech guru
- *The panel will be moderated by Dr. Yaron Daniely, President & CEO of Yissum, Hebrew University’s technology transfer company
Guest Lecture by Brigadier General (res) Dr. Danny Gold, Israeli Defense Directorate of Research and Development
Brig. Gen. (res.) Dr. Danny Gold is the head of MAFAT, the Israeli Defense Forces’ Administration for the Development of Weapons and Technological Infrastructure. Brig. Gen. Gold will discuss the Talpiot program, an elite Israel Defense Forces (IDF) training program based at the Hebrew University. He will also discuss how the army fosters a quality incubator for the creation of advanced technologies.
Potential addition to the program: A behind-the-scenes tour of Israel’s Iron Dome defense system, the unique and world-renowned system designed to intercept and destroy short-range rockets and artillery shells fired from distances of 2.5-43 miles. To-date in Israel the Iron Dome has intercepted over 1,200 rockets.
Exclusive Visit to the Albert Einstein Archives
Enjoy a guided tour of the Einstein Archives, exclusive home to all of Einstein’s intellectual property. Participants will get a glimpse of original documents that few people in the world have seen. The tour will be led by Hanoch Gutfreund, Professor Emeritus in theoretical physics and Academic Director of the Archives.
Afternoon Session: From Dream to Reality
Participants will have the opportunity to visit the field, meet with professors who have created their own startups, and entrepreneurs who are Hebrew University alumni. Participants will visit labs and witness innovative companies and products first hand.
Faculty members include:
- Professor Uriel Levy, The Hebrew University Center for Nano Science and Nanotechnology
- Professor Uri Banin, The Hebrew University Center for Nano Science and Nanotechnology
- Professor Shlomo Magdassi, 3D & Functional Printing Center, The Hebrew University Center for Nano Science and Nanotechnology
- Professor Yaakov Nahmias, Alexander Grass Center for Bioengineering at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Professor Meital Reches, Institute of Chemistry at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Professor Idan Segev, Edmond and Lily Safra Center for Brain Sciences, Hebrew University
Showcasing companies with innovative technologies, including:
- Airscort, a company that has developed a docking station for commercial drones, which enables them to perform fully autonomous missions.
- HumanEyes, which offers a complete, end-to-end solution for the creation, display and printing of projects with 3D and animation effects (also known as lenticular printing), used by photographers, graphic artists and printers.
The Friday program will conclude with a traditional Friday night dinner with members of the Board of Governors at Jerusalem’s King David Hotel.
Saturday, June 9th
Trekking Our History
Breakfast at the hotel.
9:00 am: Depart on Jeeps into the Judean Desert to visit hidden monasteries such as Mar Saba (5th c. monastery built in the cliffs as a place of seclusion for monks), and St. Georges, followed by an easy hike to the Ein Prat Nature Reserve (Wadi Kelt) with a dip into fresh water springs. Ein Mabua is a spring that sits in the heart of the Nahal Prat cliffs, and is a natural phenomenon where the springs flow upstream. Participants will be joined by Hebrew University faculty members from the Earth Sciences and Archaeology departments who will provide a unique academic perspective, while supplementing the tour with real examples taken from their research in the field.
11:30 am: Drive to Ein Fara, nestled in the Canyon of Wadi Kelt, for an afternoon of rock climbing and rappelling and an opportunity to dip in the cool pools of Wadi Kelt, along with lunch.
2:00 pm: Conclude the day with a short and challenging ODT –Outdoor Training Activity, by a local prestigious adventure company.
4:00 pm: Return to Jerusalem
Cinema, Cocktails and Celebration, 8:30 pm
The Opening Event of the BOG will be held at the Jerusalem Cinematheque.
Guests will enjoy an evening celebrating Israeli cinema, and cocktails under the stars.
Sunday, June 10th
HUJI Talks Presents: 100 Years of Knowledge and Vision
The TED-style talks, in a unique and special setting will focus on celebrating the past 100 years, and innovative ideas for the next 100 years. This session will take place at the renowned Dan Jerusalem Hotel.
Speakers include, among others:
- *Professor Yuval Noah Harari, Israeli historian. professor in the Department of History at the Hebrew University, bestselling author
- *Professor Idan Segev, Edmond and Lily Safra Center for Brain Sciences, Hebrew University
- *Prof. Yaakov Nahmias, founding director of the Alexander Grass Center for Bioengineering, Hebrew University
Celebrating 100 Years of Knowledge and Excellence
Gala dinner celebrating 100 Years of Knowledge will be held at the Tower of David Museum and will feature an interactive spectacular multimedia show broadcast on the Old City walls. Celebrities from around the world and Israel will attend in celebration of this historic anniversary.
*Note that the list of speakers is tentative and that confirmed speakers are denoted with an asterisk.